Thursday, October 21, 2010

Accomplishments and Credibility

It is fair to say that a society's success, credibility, and overall status in the world can be measured my its accomplishments. Right now I want you to decide if you agree or disagree and remember that for now.

It is then fair to say that a community's credibility and over all status is based on its contributions to the success of the society. Again I would like you to decide if you agree or disagree.

The fallowing is a list of contributions the scientific community had made to our global society.

Computers
Internet
Electricity
Modern Medicine
Modern Weaponry
Plastic
Automobiles
Boats
Aircraft
Avionic
Clean Water
Food Abundance
Space Travel

These are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head and most of these can be branched off into smaller sub-category's and almost all of them are used every day by everyday people with the only exception arguably being space travel.

Now the challenge I make to you is list the contributions the religious community, any religion at all, has made. This does not include scientists who just happen to have a religion. I mean what has your sacred texts and your bronze age beliefs contributed to the success of the global society? What contributions have they made to earn them social credibility or a positive social status?

2 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRLR9jhP_DM

    ReplyDelete
  2. None.
    haha I'm kidding. I'm bias towards religion, though. I try not to be, but I grew up around a few fundamentalists, so now that I'm not forced to deal with it, I'm pretty vocal about my opinions. It's mostly organized religion that bothers me. I have no problem with people being spiritual or praying or doing whatever the hell they want, but when a religion begins to resemble a cult and it's full of judgmental morons, I get pissed off.
    Anyway lol, I'm sure they have made a couple of good contributions. I can't think of any because I'm not a religious scholar. Either that, or the bad contributions overshadow the good ones.

    ReplyDelete